ABOUT IIDA NEW YORK
IIDA NY is a professional networking and educational association of more than 800 Members in ten specialty Forums. IIDA NY works to enhance the quality of life through excellence in interior design and to advance interior design through knowledge. IIDA NY provides superior industry information; nurtures a global interior design community; maintains educational standards; and responds to trends in business and design.
The IIDA NY Chapter is a charter chapter of The International Interior Design Association (IIDA), which was founded in 1994 as the result of a merger between the Institute of Business Designers (IBD); the International Society of Interior Designers (ISID); and the Council of Federal Interior Designers (CFID). The goal of the merger was to create an international association with a united mission that would represent interior designers worldwide. Since that date, IIDA has worked to convene communities of interior designers across regions and specialties representing the interests of the entire community.
Since that date, IIDA has worked to convene communities of Interior Designers across regions and specialties representing the interests of the entire community.
The Jury will be made up of members of the IIDA NY’s Student Design Awards Committee. Award winning projects will be selected based on the student’s stated philosophy of design and the quality of their design portfolio.
- February 22, 2016: CALL FOR ENTRIES
- April 1, 2016: DEADLINE – Project(s) must be submitted via email by midnight April 1, 2015
- APRIL 26, 2016: JUDGING
- APRIL 28, 2016: AWARDS – Winners will be announced at the IIDA NY Student Design Awards Ceremony at Steelcase – 4 Columbus Circle, NYC
IIDA NY will be offering up to (5) $3,000 awards and up to (5) $1,000 awards in Interior Design (at the Jury’s discretion) plus (10) 1-year IIDA Student Memberships to award recipients.
Any student (IIDA Member or Non-Member) who is currently enrolled as a junior, senior, or graduate student in an Interior Design program at an accredited New York State college or university may submit an original individual design project. Group projects will not be accepted. Enrollment status for finalists will be verified prior to award. Past IIDA NY Student Design Awards / Student Scholarship winners are not eligible to participate. Past Honorable Mention winners are eligible to submit projects. 2015 Participating Schools included Cornell University, Fashion Institute of Technology, New York Institute of Technology, New York School of Interior Design, Parsons the New School for Design, Pratt Institute, and School of Visual Arts.
Please view the 2016 submission sample HERE prior to submitting your project(s).
- A maximum of (2) individual projects may be submitted
- Each individual project must not exceed (5) 11″ x 17″ PDF pages
- Project submissions must be submitted IN (1) COMBINED PDF and may only be submitted via email
- The filename of your COMBINED SUBMISSION PDF should be your full name
- On each image including the design statement, include only the title of your project. Do not include information on your submission(s) pages (summary, plans, or images) that would identify you or your school.
INDIVIDUAL PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
The following materials must be submitted in the following order:
- Page 1: Design Statement describing the design problem, your point of view about the solution, and what inspired you about the project (150 words maximum) must be included for each project submitted. Please download the Design Statement template HERE and include it (8-1/2″ x 11″) with your project submission(s)
- Page 2: must contain the project floor plan(s) with no other images
- Pages 3-5: The remaining pages must contain no more than (3) images per page and may be in any order that represents your design presentation
MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO SDA.IIDANY@GMAIL.COM BY THE DEADLINE LISTED ABOVE.
- Financial need is not a criteria
- Incomplete submissions or those that are not submitted as 8-1/2″ x 11″ and 11″ x 17″ PDFs will be returned to the student for correction/resubmission. Competition submission deadline still applies
- No group projects or projects designed or completed as a professional will be considered
- Failure to disclose group or professional projects will be cause for disqualification
- Projects submitted for this competition may be shown on a PowerPoint presentation at the IIDA NY Student Design Awards Party, on the IIDA NY web site, on social media outlets, and at other IIDA NY events.
Questions may be directed to: Alan Goodin, Executive Director, IIDA NY Chapter 212-297-2128 or firstname.lastname@example.org