EQUITY COUNCIL LAUNCH
Please join us for a panel discussion with the newly formed Equity Council and the launch of its Design Industry Pledge.
Equity Council was founded in 2020 to foster engagement and accountability toward meaningful change in the design industry. The Council’s mission is to create a more just and equitable design industry by focusing on four key pillars in the workplace: cultures of inclusion, increased racial diversity, education and communication.
Many organizations are willing to have open conversations about racial equity and want to do the work but don’t know where or how to begin. Equity Council seeks to bridge that gap with the Design Industry Pledge, an agreement that outlines actionable goals. It includes an Assessment tool for signers to measure their progress annually. The Pledge is open to the entire design community and industry partners alike (members and non-members of IIDA ), including professional associations, project managers, consultants, contractors and others.
All proceeds from the event will be donated to Youth Design Center, a youth creative agency and innovation hub providing a gateway for young people to learn marketable hard skills in STEAM, access post-secondary education, achieve economic mobility and engage in place-based community revitalization.
YDC is based in Brownsville, Brooklyn.
Visit their website to learn more: https://www.youthdesigncenter.org
- Alethea Cheng Fitzpatrick, Principal & Founder, Co-Creating Inclusion
- Yetta Banks, former VP design & construction, Viacom
- Hana Getachew, CEO/creative director, Bole Road Textiles
- Erin Ruby, IIDA NY chapter president; founder, Erin Ruby Design, LLC
- Elsie St. Léger, IIDA NY Chapter president-elect; assistant project manager, interiors, NYU Langone Health
- Kavita Singh Gilchrist, Co-Founder, Racial Equity Partners
- Jeff Olivet, Co-Founder, Racial Equity Partners